Re: st: RE: a question on testing for random effect model against fixed effect model

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: a question on testing for random effect model against fixed effect model
Date   Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:05:49 -0400

Is the Hayashi proof valid for unbalanced-panel?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jian Zhang" <[email protected]>
To: "Schaffer, Mark E" <[email protected]>;
<[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 8:44 PM
Subject: RE: st: RE: a question on testing for random effect model against
fixed effect model

Thanks, Mark!  It seems that the CALCULATED standard hausman test statistic
is always positive
even in FINITE samples (i.e., calculated V(b)-v(B) is positive definite) as
long as one uses same
variance estimates  (mathematically this is proved by Hayashi, 2000, as you
mentioned:

"This appendix proves that the Avar(q_hat) in (5.2.21) is positive definite
and the Hausman
statistic (5.2.22) is guaranteed to be nonnegative in any finite samples."
(Hayashi, Econometrics (2000), Appendix 5.A, pp. 346-349 and 334-335.)

So by adding option -sigmamore- or -sigmaless-, I did get a positive
standard hausman test
(Chi square).

However, confusing to me is that at the end of the results of implementing
hausman test in stata
there is one line saying  (V(b)-V(B) is not positive definite) despite that
I added option
-sigmamore- and got a positive Chi square.  Any thoughts why stata said
that?  From what I
understand, calculated V(b)-V(B) should be ALWAYS positive definite as long
as one uses option
-sigmamore- or -sigmaless-.   The statement made by stata results seems to
contradict the
mathematical argument made by Hayoshi.

Best regards,
Jian Zhang