st: RE: panel data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: panel data
Date   Sun, 9 Jul 2006 18:00:19 +0100

Stata is very good at this kind of question.

Suppose your -employment- is a string variable.

bysort personal_number (year) : gen ever_selfemp = sum(employment == "self-emp")
by personal_number : gen first_selfemp = ever_selfemp == 1 & ever_selfemp[_n-1] != 1
by personal_number : replace ever_selfemp = ever_selfemp[_N] > 0

Now the number ever self-employed is given by

count if first_selfemp

and the histories of those ever self-employed are selected by

... if ever_selfemp

More under

FAQ     . . Creating variables recording whether any or all possess some char.
        2/03    How do I create a variable recording whether any
                members of a group (or all members of a group)
                possess some characteristic?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/anyall.html

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  True and false in Stata
                2/03    What is true and false in Stata?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/trueorfalse.html

SJ-2-1  pr0004  . . . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata:  How to move step by: step
        Q1/02   SJ 2(1):86-102                                   (no commands)
        explains the use of the by varlist : construct to tackle
        a variety of problems with group structure, ranging from
        simple calculations for each of several groups to more
        advanced manipulations that use the built-in _n and _N

Andrey V. Ivanov