st: RE: label

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: label
Date   Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:39:25 +0100

Strictly, you can't do this, in the sense of
applying different value labels to any given
value of a particular variable.

What you can do is -generate- a string variable
and its values can be as arbitrary as you like.

gen mycatlabel = ""
replace mycatlabel = "A" if group == 1 & cat == 1
replace mycatlabel = "B" if group == 1 & cat == 2

What you could also do is form a composite variable:

egen catgroup = group(cat group)
label def catgroup 1 "A" 2 "B" ...
label val catgroup catgroup

To check what the mapping should be, you
might find -groups- from SSC useful. A sequence
could be

egen catgroup = group(cat group)
ssc inst groups, replace
groups catgroup cat group

and then work out what the labels should be.

Patricia Vera Rojas