Re: st: Estimating Independent Contribution of Each Alzheimer's Risk Factor

Subject   Re: st: Estimating Independent Contribution of Each Alzheimer's Risk Factor
Date   Thu, 6 Jul 2006 23:28:57 -0400

Dear  William Rodman Shankle:
Part 1 (Data) below presents an interesting problem in meta-analysis,
about which I know only a little, but I don't think Part 2 (Method)
helps you at all.
Suppose you have 81 studies, each of which has nine coefficients of a
possible 41, and you satisfy some rank condition  (the overlap of
coefficients across studies is sufficient to identify all population
parameters).  You can treat the 32 coefficients not included in any
given study as constrained to be zero, but that does not solve the
problem that the remaining nine coefficients suffer from omitted
variable bias.  There is no one/zero dichotomy that I see here--you
want to use the estimated effects from each study somehow.
I am guessing there is a nice Bayesian approach, or a very messy
pseudo maximum likelihood [see Gourieroux, C., Monfort, A., and
Trognon, A. (1984) Pseudomaximum likelihood methods: theory.
Econometrika, 52, 681--700.] version of meta-analysis that might
work... but I don't know it.
Perhaps someone else will chime in with an elegant answer.
--Austin

ps. OTOH, if you don't think there is any omitted variable bias, then
I guess you can run separate meta-analyses for each subset of studies
with the relevant set of coefficient estimates.