st: RE: RE: xtivreg2, no constant in the outpuut?

Subject   st: RE: RE: xtivreg2, no constant in the outpuut?
Date   Sat, 1 Jul 2006 15:24:22 +0100

Pierre,

It's fine - there's no such problem with the cluster-robust estimator as
far as I know.  All you need is for the clusters to go off to infinity.

In fact, Steve Stillman just pointed me to a new paper by Stock and
Watson showing that with fixed effects, both the standard
heteroskedastic-robust and HAC-robust covariance estimators are
inconsistent for T fixed and >2, but the cluster-robust cov estimator
does not suffer from this problem.  One of their conclusions is that if
serial correlation is expected, cluster-robust is the best choice.

Paper details:

Heteroskedasticity-Robust Standard Errors for Fixed Effects Panel Data
Regression
James H. Stock, Mark W. Watson
NBER Technical Working Paper #0323
http://papers.nber.org/papers/T0323

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes