Re: st: Windows XP x64?

From   "Joe McCrary" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Windows XP x64?
Date   Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:03:49 -0400

I have been using Windows XP64 Professional for about 6 months.

Software: I have had very few compatibility problems, and the number
of software vendors who have been building 64-bit products has been
increasing steadily. In almost all cases, products written for 32-bit
Windows work fine. I had problems with Acrobat (not the reader), but
use CutePDF instead (which is free). Kaspersky Labs has released a
64-bit compatible virus scanner that works pretty fast.

Hardware: Here is where I've run into some compatibility problems.
I've had to replace my scanner and TV Tuner (this is my home
computer). Canon had drivers ready for my printer. Everything else
(Logitech mouse and keyboard, Creative sound card, external hard
drives) have worked fine.

All-in-all, except for a few hardware compatibility problems (never
buying another Epson product again), the switch to XP64 has been
great. It's been rock solid. Stata is a good bit faster (although I've
not tried the multiple-core version) and I too work with very large
datasets (student NAEP data which has to be run through a 62 jackknife
iteration for each of 5 plausible values).

You might want to look at the forums in http://www.planetamd64.com/.
There's a lot of information there about drivers and applications.
Also, check the websites of hardware manufacturers to see if they have
64-bit drivers.