st: RE: Combining two data files and follow-up data in Stata

From   "Richard Atkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Combining two data files and follow-up data in Stata
Date   Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:54:42 +0100

You will have to reshape your followup file from long to wide (so each
case is a main_ID and has variables x_1, x_2 etc representing the
repeated measurements.  They use the merge command.

Richard Atkins.
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

>>> [email protected] 06/30/06 12:50 pm >>>
Try the merge command.

Justin White

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Ashwin
Ananthakrishnan
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 7:48 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Combining two data files and follow-up data in Stata

Hi,

I currently have 2 data files in Stata - the first
file is the main file with a list of all the subjects
in the study organised by a main_ID number. I have a
second file which contains follow-up data - with each
entry representing one follow-up visit. That file is
sorted by the main_ID also but because each patient
has more than 1 follow-up visit, there might be
multiple entries per main_ID.

1. How do I combine these two data files using main_ID
as the common variable?

2. How can I combine the follow-up data such that I
have one 1 record for each main_ID number which lists
the outcome at each follow-up visit?

Thanks,
Ashwin