st: OLS parameters differences Stata vs SPSS

From   Gerardo MagaƱa <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: OLS parameters differences Stata vs SPSS
Date   Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:45:57 +0200

Hi.

Sorry for this silly question......I'm running an OLS regression both in Stata and SPSS, to replicate the Mankiw-Romer model. Nevertheless, the output parameters from both programs are substantial different. The problem is that the parameters from SPSS resembles very well the original results of Mankiw-Romer.
Does anybody knows why the difference in the parameters estimation? Is it possible to alter the way stata runs the OLS procedure ?
Thanks for your kindly help.
Gerardo

From: Roger Harbord <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Re: metareg w/ clustering?
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:08:42 +0100

-metareg- does meta-analysis regression, aka. meta-regression. It assumes you have summary data for an outcome and its variance within each group/study, similar to -vwls-, except it estimates an additional between-group/study variance component tau-squared. Using regular regression with analytic weights would estimate a multiplicative overdispersion parameter that multiplies each within-study variance rather than an additive component of variance.

-metareg- does not have -cluster- or -robust- options. It would not be straightforward to add these to the code as it does not use conventional maximum likelihood estimation. I guess it might be possible to use -_robust- afterwards as Rodrigo suggests (i'd never noticed this command before), but it's not obvious to me what the score variable that -_robust- requires should be.

I'd be curious to know a bit more about your application, in particular what your clusters are. In your example you specify varA as a covariate and also as the cluster id variable - i have difficulty imagining how this could be useful.

Best wishes,
Roger.