st: Re: scalars versus temporary variables in MLE

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: scalars versus temporary variables in MLE
Date   Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:30:31 -0400

In addition to Nick's excellent diagnosis and advice, I would add the following. You don't need to do more than one iteration to see that the two programmes you have provided differ in their logic. If they truly were the same, they would return the same value of the loglikelihood function when first called, which they clearly do not. If you rewrite a program in what you imagine is an innocuous way and you get a different LLF on first evaluation, you have changed the program.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html