Re: st: RE: How can I call a subroutine that's defined in anotherado-file?

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: How can I call a subroutine that's defined in anotherado-file?
Date   Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:39:09 +0900

Nick Cox wrote:

The short answer is that you can and should
just copy the subroutine to your own program

Thanks, Nick.  That's the expedient that I ended up taking.

This bears on another recurring question of mine, othat I've never posted,
but which most recently came to mind when Phil Schumm wrote earlier this
month, "Moreover, someone used to the fundamentally object-oriented nature
of R is likely to miss that in Stata a lot more."

Actually, it seems that the question has already been answered by StataCorp,
itself:  although the helpfile admonishes, "You cannot infer much about
*short-run* development plans from the presence or absence of a word from
the list" (emphasis added), Mata's reserved-word list sure has that
writing-on-the-wall look to it.

Joseph Coveney