RE: st: ivreset

Subject   RE: st: ivreset
Date   Tue, 13 Jun 2006 17:23:14 +0100

Hi everybody.  Some of you may recall the discussion relating to
ivreset, numerical accuracy in detecting collinearity, and the
contributions of Arne Risa Hole (below) and Jeff Pitblado in

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-04/msg00455.html
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-04/msg00462.html

Thanks to a suggestion of Kit Baum, ivreset has been revised so the
correct test statistic is reported with higher order polynomials and
collinearity is less of a problem.  In case you're curious, the partial
solution is to orthogonalize the polynomial terms before running the
artificial regression that generates the test statistic.  It's a partial
solution because collinearity between the polynomial terms is still a
problem, but it's a problem less often than it is before
orthogonalizing.

The new version of ivreset is available from SSC, with thanks as usual
to Kit Baum.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Director
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK