st: Stata graphics speed

From   "Allan Reese (Cefas)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Stata graphics speed
Date   Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:45:31 +0100

Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]> wrote 9 Jun 2006
Subject: Re: st: Video card and Stata speed

As an example, a fairly detailed map of the world drawn with -tmap-
from SSC takes about one minute to render on my computer. ...
Other Stata graphs like scatter plots or bar charts are *redrawn* [my emphasis]
instantaneously and virtually nothing would be gained from a new
video card.
-----

Something I've never understood is why graphs take a long time to appear in the
first place.  Commands like "gen y=_n" happen immediately, even with quite large
numbers of observations.  (I could just notice the delay with obs=1 millon).
In contrast, a simple "scatter y x" with a few observations takes several seconds
before anything appears.  That sometimes applies even when what comes up is a syntax
error.  Can anyone explain?  I've guessed that the delay is while Windows allocates
memory for the graph window, but that is just a guess.

Allan

This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only.  Its unauthorised use, distribution, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and notify the sender.  In messages of a non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect those of the organisation from which it is sent.  All emails may be subject to monitoring.