RE: st: GMM

Subject   RE: st: GMM
Date   Mon, 29 May 2006 00:03:21 +0100

Janine,

Your question is a combination of big, important questions and little,
not-so-important ones.

An example of the latter is the difference between ivreg2, gmm (not
ivreg as you say) and ivgmm0.  As I recall, at one point the latter
iterates once more to get an updated set of residuals, but the
difference is inconsequential; both report 2-step feasible efficient GMM
estimates.

The big questions are too big to answer in a posting to Statalist, but
maybe I can rephrase some of them:

- Does the estimator use the first-differences transformation?
(xtabond/2, or xtivreg/2 with the fd option)

- Does the estimator use the within-transformation?  (xtivreg/2 with the
fe option)

- Does the estimator not transform the data at all?  (ivreg/2 or ivgmm0)

- Does the estimator use clever and hard-to-describe orthogonality
conditions?  (xtabond/2)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3296
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes