Re: st: Oddities with weekly data

To   "Michael S. Hanson" <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Oddities with weekly data
Date   Fri, 19 May 2006 15:59:32 -0400

My approach (generating your own week variable, essentially, bypassing
the wofd() function) would solve the Mon/Tue problem and the week 52
problem, but assuming there are no missing weeks, your alternative of
using _n seems just as good or better.  The oddity of weeks is that
Stata constrains there to be only 52 weeks in a year, and the week
numbering starts over on Jan 1 of each year, which means that week 52
in any year is either 8 or 9 days long.  Having repeated time values
in a weekly time series is nearly inevitable given these definitional
constraints.

clear
range t 12040 12060 21
gen twk = wofd(t)