st: Re: predicting with probit

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: predicting with probit
Date   Fri, 19 May 2006 08:54:27 -0400

I don't think this is a sensible strategy. The subsamples defined by core/non-core are incidentally truncated based on a number of factors. The error term in the probit equation for core/non-core is doubtless correlated with the error term in the condom-use equation. That correlation will render estimates based on the subsamples inconsistent. It would seem that an alternative way to model this would be to write down your condom use regression in the context of a -heckman- selection model.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html