st: Extrapolating records using result from -sts list-

From   "David Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Extrapolating records using result from -sts list-
Date   Thu, 18 May 2006 14:50:53 +0100

This is an expansion on a previous theme, for which I am indebted to Austin Nichols for advice.

To recap:  I have a dataset of 1341 observations of cancer patients having a subsequent malignancy.  I have calculated the period at risk in proportions of a year for each observation (in a variable: intvlexityrs).  The failure variable (censvar) indicates a subsequent neoplasm.

-stset- intvlexityrs, fail(censvar)

1341 obs
41 failures
..
..
earliest observed entry t = 0
last observed exit t = 48.19712

-sts list, at (0(1)49)- produces a life table for all time periods 0 - 49 (equivalent to: int(intvlexityrs)).  Using -sts list- without the 'at' paramters produces a extensive life table with individual time periods. Looking at the extended life table indicates there are no observations with values of intvlexityrs for certain time periods (e.g. 40, 43 and 46).  So some form of extrapolation appears to take place in -sts list-.

I need to extract the values from a life table.  I need to 'insert' blank records for the missing records (e.g. 40, 43 and 46) and extrapolate the relevant data.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards,

Dave

Mr David L. Winter, HNC
IT Manager (BCCSS Study)
Department of Public Health & Epidemiology
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham
B15 2TT