st: computing growth rates by country

From   "Broca, Sumiter (ESDG)" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: computing growth rates by country
Date   Tue, 16 May 2006 19:22:02 +0200

Title: computing growth rates by country

I would appreciate some help on the following problem.

I have time-series data arranged like this, sorted by country year (hypothetical data):

Country         Year    GDP
Angola          1990    100
Angola          1991    111
Angola          1992    120
Bangladesh      1990    240
Bangladesh      1991    260
Bangladesh      1992    275
.
.
.
(57 countries)

I would like to compute the long run GDP growth rate between 1990 and 1992 for each country by regressing log(GDP(t)) on time (from 1990-92) for that country. The growth rate is given by the coefficient estimate (multiplied by 100 if you want it in percentages). I would like to append this growth rate to the above data set.  For this example, I would like the new data set to look like this.

Country         Year    GDP  GDP growth rate, 1990-92 (% p.a.)
Angola          1990    100    9.1
Angola          1991    111    9.1
Angola          1992    120    9.1
Bangladesh      1990    240    6.8
Bangladesh      1991    260    6.8
Bangladesh      1992    275    6.8
.
.
.

In other words, I am looking for an egen type command that calculates a semi-log growth rate for each country and then appends it to the data set for that country.  Can someone point me to one?

Thanks in advance.

Sumiter.
Sumiter S. Broca

Economist,
Global Perspectives Studies Unit,

Office of the Assistant Director-General,
Economic and Social Department
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Viale delle Terme di Caracalla - 00100 Rome

ITALY

Tel: +39 06 5705 3896
Cell: +39 349 2375 960
Fax: +39 06 5705 6172