Re: st: clustered regression--in over my head

Subject   Re: st: clustered regression--in over my head
Date   Thu, 11 May 2006 14:11:33 -0400

Christopher W. Ryan:
You would want to cluster on the medical record number, assuming that
is a unique patient ID, since you've probably got several varieties of
serial correlation, but that does not help with the variable to put on
the right hand side in your regression--I don't think you want visit
number, but maybe date of visit measured in days since 1/1/1960 or
somesuch (see -help dates- for more info) would be appropriate. Try:
. regress bmi visitdate, cluster(mrn)
. xtreg bmi visitdate, cluster(mrn) fe
. xtreg bmi visitdate, cluster(mrn)
Then you might want to see if the growth rate varies by initial BMI,
by interacting initial BMI with date, or cutting the sample.  But
ultimately you might want to use -xtmixed- to model the growth rates,
which models growth rates as individual-specific by making some
assumptions about the distribution.
--Austin