RE: st: RE: formatting for significant figures

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: formatting for significant figures
Date   Wed, 10 May 2006 14:47:48 +0100

Your wanting to omit leading zeros seems the
tricky bit.

There may well be a better way, but you
can fudge this by

. gen rnd = uniform()
. gen s_rnd = "." + string(round(1000 * rnd), "%04.0f")
. l rnd s_rnd

b. water

> Thank you Maarten for your suggestion. This is what I obtained:
>
> . format trite %9.2e
>
> . l trite in 1/5, clean
>
>           trite
>   1.   4.10e-03
>   2.   4.75e-03
>   3.   3.80e-03
>   4.   4.82e-03
>   5.   7.83e-03
>
> Actually what I wanted was to be able to display like (and I
> concoct this):
>
>  1.   .0041
>  2.   .0047
>  3.   .0038
>  4.   .0048
>  5.   .0078
>
> When I refer back to the manual [U] 15.5, it stated putting
> an optional 0 to retain leading zeros, so I tried format
> trite %09.2e, which did not give a different result from what
> you have given. But when I did %09.2g it did! Problem solved.

[email protected]

> > -format trite %9.2e-

b. water