st: RE: Bootstrap error

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Bootstrap error
Date   Thu, 4 May 2006 21:16:55 +0100

The first error is a Statalist
mistake: you appear to be using Stata 8 and not
telling us that.

More seriously, in your program [not "do file"]

program kuznets, rclass
 	args lnSEC lnGDPC lnGDPC2
 	tsset countrycode year
 	xtabond2 lnSEC l1.lnSEC lnGDPC lnGDPC2, gmm(l1.lnSEC) ///
      iv(lnGDPC lnGDPC2)
 	gen kuz = exp(-_coef[lnGDPC]/(2*_coef[lnGDPC2]))
 	return scalar x1 = kuz
end

You do nothing with the results of -args-, so that can go.

I doubt you need to -tsset- every time, but you'd need to
check that.

There is no need to put a constant in a variable. It's poor style.

So, this looks more like

program kuznets, rclass
  	tsset countrycode year
 	xtabond2 lnSEC l1.lnSEC lnGDPC lnGDPC2, gmm(l1.lnSEC) ///
      iv(lnGDPC lnGDPC2)
 	return scalar x1 = exp(-_coef[lnGDPC]/(2*_coef[lnGDPC2]))
end

Now what -bootstrap- should pick up is r(x1):

So your call should be more like

bootstrap "kuznets" r(x1), reps(25) cluster(countrycode)
idcluster(countryrs)

Incidentally, I am no -bootstrap- expert but 25 seems awful low
to me.

Also, I don't see that you need an intermediate program
here at all. -bootstrap- could call -xtabond2- directly.

Carl Nelson