st: RE: Reading Statalist efficiently

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Reading Statalist efficiently
Date   Wed, 3 May 2006 20:55:33 +0100

I vastly sympathise with the spirit of this, but
can only sound a negative on addition of advice
in the FAQ. I have three reasons for saying this.

1. The FAQ is already rather long. There is plenty
of evidence that many people do not read it, or do
not read it carefully enough, and I guess
the length does not help here. So, I am biased
against extras. (When we can, we do cut stuff,
as the RSS feed is about to be zapped.)

2. The indications so far are that in many cases
people have identified useful tricks with the mailers
they use. However, I really don't want to bloat
the FAQ with lots of detail about individual mailers,
nor do I want to give myself (and also StataCorp
personnel) the extra responsibility of collating
and updating detail on those mailers, especially
in a fast-changing area and when I have no means
of checking most of the information.

3. The Statalist FAQ is hosted by StataCorp, as you
will have noticed. Over the years this has been
true, I have had precisely one complaint over it
from someone who insisted that it was quite wrong
in principle, as Statalist is, and should be
seen to be, independent of StataCorp. That
person was exactly right, but in practice we
benefit enormously from the placement and it
surely beats the possible alternatives. Nevertheless,
there is one small price to pay. On the whole,
the Stata website is not the place for material
about other people's software. You can find exceptions
to this rule, and it's a grey area, but I don't
think we should expect StataCorp to host a list
of suggestions about how to optimise the use
of particular mailers. (For much the same reason
an FAQ on text editors is offsite.)