Re: st: Detecting Outliers

From   Robert A Yaffee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Detecting Outliers
Date   Wed, 03 May 2006 08:38:01 -0400

There are many types of outliers, depending upon
whether you have time series or panel data.
   In time series, there are additive outliers, innovational
outliers, outlier patches, for example.   Some have worse
effects than others.   Adjacent outliers may smear or
mask others.  They may have good or bad leverage.
   One should have the choice of detecting, modeling, or
replacing them depending upon their theoretical significance.
   What kind of analysis is being done here?
      RY

Robert A. Yaffee, Ph.D.
Research Professor
Shirley M. Ehrenkranz