Re: st: RE: table of strings

From   Caleb Southworth <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: table of strings
Date   Tue, 2 May 2006 11:06:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 2 May 2006, Nick Cox wrote:

:The question in turn is what belongs in
:a "cell" of the table? -tabdisp- will
:show you tables of strings, but if

I was too vague. Take these data:

. list union pol_ if pol_!=., str(30)

     | union                              pol_dem |
     |--------------------------------------------|
  1. | bakery and confectionery worke..         1 |
  2. | communications association; am..         2 |
  3. | state, county and municipal wo..         2 |
  9. | switch men                               1 |
 11. | boot and shoe workers                    0 |
     |--------------------------------------------|
 12. | plate printers, die stampers a..         1 |
 14. | glass bottle blowers                     1 |
 15. | painters, decorators and paper..         0 |
 16. | stove mounters                           1 |
 18. | photo- engravers                         1 |
     |--------------------------------------------|
 19. | mechanics and foremen of naval..         1 |
 22. | hatters, cap and millinery wor..         2 |
 24. | laundry and dry cleaning                 1 |

I want to make a table of unions (strings) by pol_id (categorical var):

. tabdisp pol_dem if pol_dem!=., c(union)

--------------------------------
  pol_dem |                union
----------+---------------------
        0 | boot and shoe worker
        1 | bakery and confectio
        2 | communications assoc
--------------------------------

Aside from a preference for the categorical variable being the columns,
"what belongs in a cell" is a list of all the cases (strings) for each
category. That is, the information from

. by pol_: list union

-> pol_dem = 0

     |                                 union |
  1. | painters, decorators and paperhangers |
  2. |                 boot and shoe workers |

-> pol_dem = 1

     |                                                           union |
  1. | bakery and confectionery workers' international union; american |
  2. |                                                photo- engravers |
  3. |                                            glass bottle blowers |
  4. |                                                      switch men |
  5. |             mechanics and foremen of naval shore establishments |
  6. |                      plate printers, die stampers and engravers |
  7. |                                        laundry and dry cleaning |
  8. |                                                  stove mounters |

-> pol_dem = 2

     |                                union |
  1. |  state, county and municipal workers |
  2. | communications association; american |
  3. |   hatters, cap and millinery workers |

Perhaps the answer is cut and paste.