Re: st: RE getting rid of the outliners

From   Ronnie Babigumira <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE getting rid of the outliners
Date   Mon, 01 May 2006 12:31:29 +0200

Thanks Maarten, my approach is close to yours, however in early stages of data cleaning, I like to look at severe outliers and crosscheck this with the raw data so as to be sure it is not a data entry problem. Post cleaning, I am really like you regarding how you deal with outliers.

That said, my main concern was that there will always be mild outliers and these can be ignored, however, if Vora would like to drop any outliers, I would think "severe" outliers are a better candidate. But that is for Vora to decide I suppose.

Thanks anyhow (I didnt know about the -adjacent- )

Ronnie

Maarten Buis wrote:

Ronnie:

I had the same problem with sending to Vora instead of the
statalist (so Vora received multiple copies my email before I found out what the problem was, sorry about that)

In my not overly humble opinion, determining outliers this way
is nothing more than applying rules of thumb, and it is bad
practice to let your analysis be influenced by a blind application of a single rule of thumb. I am a regression man,
so when I am looking for outliers I look at scatter plots, various plots involving residuals, cook's distances, and leverages. I than try to identify points that worry me and try to find out why they are special. Than I decide what I am going to do about them, and in many cases the answer is nothing.
HTH,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Department of Social Research Methodology Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam Boelelaan 1081 1081 HV Amsterdam The Netherlands

visiting adress:
+31 20 5986715

http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/