RE: st: Clustering and fixed effects

Subject   RE: st: Clustering and fixed effects
Date   Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:12:42 +0100

Yvonne,

The
> > first method I prefer as I don't see all of the coefficients on the
> > dummy variables (which I am not interested in) and so the log files
> > are substantially shorter.
> >
> > I now wish to cluster standard errors by firm as well (since the FE
> > only removes any constant term). However, I cannot seem to use the
"cluster"
> > command within xtreg: the only thing I can do is "reg y x dum*,
> > cluster(firm)". But with this method I see all of the coefficients
on
> > the dummy variables, which I don't want to. Is there a way of having

> > both clustered standard errors and FE without seeing the FE
coefficients?

xtreg supports clustered standard errors only starting with Stata 9.  By
some chance are you using Stata 8 or earlier?  That might explain it.
If so, an option is to use xtivreg2, which requires only Stata 8.2.  It
was designed for IV estimation, but it will support simple fixed effects
with no instrumenting.  Install from ssc in the usual way.

--Mark