st: multinomial selection, other than selmlog?

From   Sandra Slaughter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: multinomial selection, other than selmlog?
Date   Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:46:04 -0400

Hello,

We are trying to estimate a model that links the choice of a contract type (there are 3 types of contracts) to level of product development errors. It is a multinomial selection type of model, as contract choice is endogenous and is not continuous (it has 3 categorical, or at best ordered, values).

We have seen the postings in the Stata archives regarding SELMLOG and have downloaded and tried the procedure, but it is problematic for us for several reasons:

1. the second stage outcome (product errors) occurs no matter which contract choices are made

2. our sample size is far too small to separate it into different sections (one for each type of contract choice) as is required by SELMLOG

Is there any other approach we can use to estimate this model?

Thank you for any insights!

Sandra

Sandra A. Slaughter
Associate Professor in Information Systems
354 Posner Hall
David A. Tepper School of Business
Carnegie Mellon University
Tech & Frew Streets