RE: st: specifying j in Xijt

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: specifying j in Xijt
Date   Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:17:26 +0100

I don't claim divine inspiration. I just found
the question unclear.

This may be called panel data or set up formally
as panel data, but that seems irrelevant to the
model posed, which despite various complications
seems firmly cross-sectional. Thus the basic
structure would seem to be that an observation
is an import from one country into another at
a time.

However, that may be wrong, as I don't see an
explanation of a_it, a_jt, a_ij.

On the terminology "gravity model": that term
was once popular in some fields for models attempting
to predict interactions (here trade) from characteristics
of the places concerned, but there was typically
a distance (travel time, travel cost) variable as
well by loose analogy with an inverse square distance
term in Newtonian mechanics, hence the name. I see
no distance term here.

Clive Nicholas