st: RE: poisson will not converge

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: poisson will not converge
Date   Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:14:52 -0500

Scott,

I don't know if this is relevant in your case, but you might try:

1.  Switching between different optimization algorithms:  technique(nr bhhh
dfp bfgs)

2.  Rescale your variables.

"We also recommend that researchers with convergence
problems consider rescaling their variables. We have found
that simply rescaling the variables in a model so that all
their means are near 1 in absolute value will transform many
ill-conditioned problems to well-conditioned problems.
While this method is not the most general, its easy implementation
and high success rate make it an excellent place to start."

Drukker, D. and V. Wiggins. 2004.  "Verifying the solution from a nonlinear
solver: a case study: comment."  American Economic Review 94, 397-399.

Scott