st: RE: how do i save the significance levels of coefficients after estimation?

From   [email protected] (William Gould, Stata)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: how do i save the significance levels of coefficients after estimation?
Date   Tue, 18 Apr 2006 12:42:43 -0500

Ada Ma <[email protected]> asked,

> Coming back with more questions - the estimation I did have lost of
> dropped variables, and when I tried to implement:
>
> mat se= vecdiag(cholesky(diag(vecdiag(e(V)))))'
>
> Stata replies saying:
> matrix not positive definite
> r(506);
>
> How can I trim the zeros from the e(b) and e(V) matrices before I
> perform the commands posted by Maarten?

vecdiag(cholesky(diag(vecdiag(e(V)))))' is hardly an efficient way of
calculating the square roots of the diagonal elements of e(V), but I
understand why, using the old matrix language, Ada wrote it that way.

Putting aside efficiency, I do not think Ada really wants to drop rows
and columns from e(V) because, if she does that, she will no longer know
which standard error goes with which variable.

I suggest that, in Mata,

	: sqrt(diagonal(st_matrix("e(V)")))

is what is desired, so rather than coding

	. mat se= vecdiag(cholesky(diag(vecdiag(e(V)))))'

I would code

	. mata: st_matrix(se, sqrt(diagonal(st_matrix("e(V)"))))

Mata's sqrt() function does an element-by-element squareroot.

-- Bill