st: RE: RE: RE: More on F test and the translog

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: More on F test and the translog
Date   Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:25:48 +0100

Thanks for the explanation. So, if I understand this,
the parameters are, or are forced to be, one and the same.

In that case, I can't see that you have a testable hypothesis,
or even a hypothesis. What you have ensured as a consequence
of your estimation is not an economic conjecture that needs to
be checked.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had in which I mentioned
that students from my university play ball games with
students from other universities on Wednesday. "Oh",
said the other person, from another university, "what
a coincidence, so too do students from my place". But
it wasn't a coincidence at all: it is all deliberate.
If Durham play Glasgow on Wednesdays, it follows ineluctably
that Glasgow play Durham on Wednesdays.

Gauri Khanna