st: RE: RE: RE: rounding in STATA

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: rounding in STATA
Date   Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:47:01 +0100

Another reason for not trusting your example
is that you claim to show us the results of

gen x = round(y, 0.1)

but in your output it is y that is rounded
and x that is coarse. So, evidently you changed
something before showing us your results.

Siyam, Amani

> Thanks for your reply Maarten, the values of x are exact ones and that
> happens whenever you have "50" after the decimal you are cutting, for
> example 0.*50, for the one decimal place, 0.**50 for the two decimal
> place...etc.

Maarten Buis

> Stata 8.2 doesn't show this behaviour:
>
> . input x

>   1. 8.750
>   2. 5.752
>   3. 23.256
>   4. end
>
> . gen y = round(x, 0.1)
>
> . list

>      |      x      y |
>   1. |   8.75    8.8 |
>   2. |  5.752    5.8 |
>   3. | 23.256   23.3 |
>

> Maybe 8.750 in your data is actually 8.7499?

Siyam, Amani