st: RE: RE: If in Mata

From   "Daniel Schneider" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: If in Mata
Date   Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:35:12 -0700

I am not using it interactively. But it doesn't matter whether I go

mata
if (1==1) "Hello world"
end

Or

mata: if (1==1) "Hello world"

Both don't work and if I understand the documentation correctly, they
should.

I am using the if-function as part of a larger script that uses some
matrices to store and manipulate results from a couple of regression
models (actually, a lot, so no, I can't use the non-mata matrix commands
for several reasons). I have to use the mata-if function, because I
check a feature of a mata-matrix and then ask it to execute a
mata-command on that matrix - but I reduced the if-command to the simple
version that I have shown in the email because it is fairly fail-proof
in terms of other errors in the coding.

The solution you suggested (mata: if (1==1) {} "Hello world") doesn't
really work. It does not really run the if check, so if you use
mata: if (1==0) {} "Hello world"
You still get a "Hello World" as output (and it shouldn't, because 1 is
obviously not 0).