st: Re: selmlog: question

From   "R.E. De Hoyos" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: selmlog: question
Date   Wed, 12 Apr 2006 00:47:06 +0100

Rasmus,

A way to do this is by generating the conditional probabilities (_m in -selmlog-) for your two outcomes of interest. You can then use them in a single wage equation. Say "w1" are the observed wages under outcome 1 (missing values otherwise) and "w3" are the observed wages under outcome 3 (missing values otherwise) as you specified the problem. Then:

selmlog w1 x1 x2, sel(outcome x1 x2 z1) gen(cprob1)
selmlog w3 x1 x2, sel(outcome x1 x2 z1) gen(cprob3)

The above model will allow for full wage parameter heterogeneity across outcomes 1 and 3. Depending on your particular problem this might be the best way to account for selection (allows for separate market equilibriums and different payments for the unobserved characteristics determining selection [cprob]). However if you want to impose the constraint of homogeneity in parameters across the wage equation for outcomes 1 and 3 but still treating them as different outcomes in your selection equation:

gen cpron_13=.
replace cprob_13 = cprob1 if outcome==1
replace cprob_13 = cprob3 if outcome==3

gen w_13=.
replace w_13 = w1 if outcome==1
replace w_13 = w3 if outcome==3

reg w_13 x1 x2 cprob_13

This last model will estimate the wage equation for outcomes 1 and 3 accounting for the unobserved characteristics that made the individuals "choose" those particular outcomes (although the market payment for those unobservables will be the same for both groups).

Notice that you will have to bootstrap the standard errors to account for the heteroskedasticity present in the two-step procedure.

I hope this helps,
Rafa
Rafael E. De Hoyos
Faculty of Economics