st: Suggestions for Stata

From   "Bromiley, Philip" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Suggestions for Stata
Date   Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:19:40 -0700

Although I'm sure the more sophisticated users don't have these issues
(and fixes may exist I haven't found), as one who moves across packages,
it would help me if:

1.  Stata made full variable names available for the output of all
procedures.
2.  Stata made missing data consistently treated as missing, not just as
a big number in logical statements.
3.  Stata used the same single = sign for both assignment and logical
statements.
4.  Stata offered more flexible table output.  My journals want
coefficients, stars for significance level, and standard errors in
parentheses under the coefficients.  It would be nice to have a simple
way to do this.  Allowing users to set up a template might be helpful.
5.  Color codes in editors are nice even for experienced users.  For
example, in SAS some errors jump out because the colors go wrong -- a
forgotten end of comment makes everything below a comment color, etc.

Phil Bromiley
University of California, Irvine