st: RE: RE: RE: coefficients in factor analysis

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: coefficients in factor analysis
Date   Wed, 5 Apr 2006 22:48:48 +0100

With factor analysis you need
a miniature dictionary, as more-or-less
standard things get renamed and
there seems to be a conspiracy to
hide the fact that factor analysis
is not that extraordinary, just a
bit weird.

In line with this, Stata 9 expects -- nay,
requires -- you to use -predict- after
-factor-, not -score-, as it is telling you.

Crudely, scores are really (predicted) values,
and coefficients are really coefficients.
There is lots of ah but to make that crude,
if not wrong, but it is a start.

If you are having difficulty with factor
analysis you might be better off with
principal components, which requires
fewer religious commitments. Either way,
it sounds as if you really do need a good
textbook and a very close study of the manual.

Paley, Irina