Re: st: MLE of a function with complex coefficients

From   [email protected] (Jeff Pitblado, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: MLE of a function with complex coefficients
Date   Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:04:35 -0500

Pete Aling <[email protected]> has some follow-up questions about
using -ml- to fit his model:

> Thanks so much for the help with the question I posted last week. Your
> solutions helped a lot. There are two issues I'm still having though.

> 1. The likelihood function isn't the log of the Gaussian density function as
> you thought but rather minus twice the log of the Gaussian density. However,
> when I run the program I get an error message.

Unfortunately, one cannot perform "maximum" likelihood of

	-2 * ln(likelihood function)

since the '-' in '-2' flips the log likelihood up-side-down, turning the
maximum into a minimum.  If Pete wants 'optimized' arguments to

	-2 * ln(likelihood function)

he should try using -ml- to get MLE's from

	ln(likelihood function)

In short, remove '-2*' from the formula for the log likelihood.

> 2. The model I'm estimating was the unrestricted version of a number of
> models. These models are created by imposing parameter restrictions on the
> alpha, beta, and gamma coefficients. My question is how do I impose and test
> these restrictions?

> They are 	1. beta = 0, gamma = 0
> 		2. gamma = 0
> 		3. gamma = 1/2
> 		4. alpha = 0, beta = 0, gamma = 1
> 		5. alpha = 0, gamma = 1
> 		6. gamma = 1
> 		7. alpha = 0, beta = 0, gamma = 3/2
> 		8. alpha = 0

Pete can impose these constraints by first defining them using the
-constraint- command, and specifying the -constraints()- option on the call to
-ml model-.

However, the constraint 'beta = 0' will cause divide-by-zero problems in the
current likelihood evaluator.  Dividing by zero will result in missing values
in the log likelihood, causing -ml- to quit.

Pete can add some logic to his -myest- likelihood evaluator (after removing
the '-2*') to handle the case when beta is 0 (but only because l'Hospital's
rule indicates that the limit exists as beta goes to 0).  For example, here is
how I would change Pete's -myest- likelihood evaluator:

program myest
	version 9	// Pete metions he was using Stata 9

	args lnf alpha beta sigma2 gamma
	tempvar a b c d e m s
	quietly gen double `a' = `sigma2'
	quietly gen double `b' = cond(beta == 0, 1,	///
			(exp(2*`beta') - 1)/(2*`beta')	///
		)
	quietly gen double `c' = 2*`gamma'
	quietly gen double `d' = exp(`beta')
	quietly gen double `e' = cond(beta == 0, 1,	///
		)

	quietly gen double `m' = `d'*ltbrate+`alpha'*`e'
	quietly gen double `s' = `a'*`b'*(ltbrate^`c')

	quietly replace `lnf' = lnnormalden($ML_y1,`m',`s')
end

--Jeff