st: coefficients in factor analysis

From   "Paley, Irina" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: coefficients in factor analysis
Date   Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:50:16 -0400

Dear Statalist,

I apologize in advance for probably a very uneducated question.

I am using factor analysis to create factors.

when I type: factor x1-x3, I get an output which looks like this:

	Factor1		Factor2
x1	0.4		0.7
x2	0.9		0.2
x3	0.6		0.5

When I then type: predict f1 f2 f3, I get another output which has the same form but the actual "coefficients" are completely different. For example, they are not 0.4, 0.9 and 0.6 for xs contributing to Factor 1.

Could you explain the correspondence between the contributions of x1, x2 and x3 to, say, Factor 1, reported after "factor" and those reported after "predict"? again, my apologies but I couldn't find it in readily available factor analysis references.

Thank you so much,

Irina