st: RE: graphing question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: graphing question
Date   Wed, 5 Apr 2006 21:13:41 +0100

Setting aside the issue of multiplicity raised
by the numerous simultaneous -- and mutually
dependent -- tests possibly implied here,

you can use -separate- to produce two distinct
response variables from one, and then employ
distinct symbols.

It would still be a propaganda graph, to use
Tukey's term. (In revenge against poor referencers,
I'll just give Tukey 1972 as the reference.)

It might be more subtle to use (say) a line to indicate
threshold levels and let the user think about
the graph without the propaganda. Is the
difference between 0.05% and 0.04% scientifically
interesting as well?

Rajesh Tharyan