re:st: -xmlsave- to Excel (for Mac?)

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   re:st: -xmlsave- to Excel (for Mac?)
Date   Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:26:54 -0500

I am using S/E 9.1 for Macintosh.
Perhaps I am missing something woefully obvious, but shouldn't the use of
-xmlsave- create a file that is readable by Excel?? As I understand the
help file, the following syntax ought to create a file (generic
spreadsheet) that Excel can read:

xmlsave gofigure, doc(excel)

After gofigure.xml is created, the file can be opened w/ a text editor,
albeit not w/ MS Excel. Could this be because I'm using a Mac?? Note
that the text file for gofigure.xml does not present the file in what i
would consider the "expected" format, i.e. variable names on the top line
followed by the data...

many thanks in advance!
--Clint

On my Mac, I have some issues too.

sysuse auto
xmlsave auto, doc(excel)

/* trying to import using the latest MS Excel fails with the following error messages:

Strict Parse Error
This file is not a valid Excel XML spreadsheet

But even more strange is that Stata cannot open it's own xml file: */

. xmluse auto.xml, doc(excel) clear
data type of Excel column not consistent
specifying the missing option will import inconsistent values as missing data
while the allstring option will import all as strings
file not Stata format
r(610);

*
* For searches and help try: