st: Mata matrix manipulation: selecting rows

From   Jesper Kj�r Hansen <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Mata matrix manipulation: selecting rows
Date   Wed, 5 Apr 2006 03:49:48 +0200

I am currently working on a collection of Mata functions, which
are the base of a rather extensive data analysis procedure,
involving a lot of nested looping and simulation with a lot of
reps (1000+). All in all, this requires my Mata code to be as
efficient as possible.

I have a recurring problem: how to easily select/copy rows (or
cols) of a large matrix, which match a specific criteria. It is
easy enough to tag the row you need, using a logical expression.
A very simplified example:

: x = (1, ., 0, ., 1, 0)'

: (x , x :!= .)
       1   2
    +---------+
  1 |  1   1  |
  2 |  .   0  |
  3 |  0   1  |
  4 |  .   0  |
  5 |  1   1  |
  6 |  0   1  |
    +---------+

But what is the most efficient way of getting:

       1                     1
    +-----+               +-----+
  1 |  1  |             1 |  0  |
  2 |  0  |     or      2 |  0  |
  3 |  1  |             3 |  1  |
  4 |  0  |             4 |  1  |
    +-----+               +-----+

I suppose you could:

(a) loop through the rows, selecting the relevant ones

(b) call Stata, e.g. -keep if !missing(var1)-

(c) mark out the rows you don't want (with missing), sort and
    select the non-missing rows of the matrix.

Which would you choose? Do you have a suggestion for a more
efficient solution?

Right now I mostly use (c), when the problem comes up, because
sorting doesn't break my data. For an example,

    view http://www.nat.sdu.dk/users/nat-sdu/jkha01/data/test20060404.txt

  or

    do http://www.nat.sdu.dk/users/nat-sdu/jkha01/data/test20060404.do

But what I would really like to be able to do, is to use a tag as
subscript to a matrix, in order to select rows or cols, which are
to be used, e.g.:

: tag = x :!= .

: x[<tag>]
       1
    +-----+
  1 |  1  |
  2 |  0  |
  3 |  1  |
  4 |  0  |
    +-----+

I know this is supported in some matrix programming languages,
and I also know that it is not supported in Mata.

/Jesper

Kind regards,

Jesper Kj�r Hansen
Student Assistant