st: RE: precision: -insheet- & -outsheet-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: precision: -insheet- & -outsheet-
Date   Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:47:26 +0100

I am afraid that some of the answer is "Don't do
this" (e.g. import from Excel) but no doubt that is not a
practical answer.

Also, the reference to the "actual values" of the variables
is at best disingenous. Only if the values are integers, and
in a few other cases, are such values completely unequivocal.
Only just recently Bill Gould explained at considerable length
how in practice we are usually talking about the best binary
approximations.

More positively, there is some advice at
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/newexcel.html

Although listed as author, I compiled that document in
self-defence as I was getting questions I couldn't answer
from colleagues and students who use Excel. (Except for sets
of measure zero, I don't.) Most of the real details came from the people
also named in the FAQ.