st: Re: nested logit with only individual characteristics

From   "R.E. De Hoyos" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: nested logit with only individual characteristics
Date   Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:02:58 -0000

Dear Fanwell,

You can estimate the -nlogit- transforming the data in a way that it is suitable for -clogit- and then using a set of dummy variable interactions as explained in:

http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/examples/greene/greene19.htm

However I think you should reconsider if -nlogit- is the model that fits best your data. For a similar exercise estimating British poverty entry rates, see:

Cappellari and Jenkins (2002) "Who stays poor? Who becomes poor? Evidence from the British household panel survey", The Economic Journal, 112(478)

Best,
Rafa

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fanwell Kenala Bokosi" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 3:54 PM
Subject: st: nested logit with only individual characteristics

Dear Listers,

I am trying to estimate a nested logit with data that has only indivudual characteristics.

I have a data set of 291 households with househoold characteristics and their poverty statsu in two period.

The dependent variable is 1=poor and 0=non poor for both years. I want to estimate the probaliity of being poor in the secons period given the povery status of the first period.

The tree structure is as follows:

pooryr1 (pooryr2, nonpooryr2)
Nonpooryr1(pooryr2, nonpooryr2)

The household characteristics include rnd1qno ageh hhize landarea children etc

the group variable is rnd1qno

I do not know how I should set the command since I do not have any choice related independent variables

Please help

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/