Re: st: Stata cant find my do-file

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata cant find my do-file
Date   Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:58:25 +0000

On 12/21/05, Tinna <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Statalisters,
>
> Stata cant find my do-file although I can see it right there in the
> same folder as the data set I am using. The error message looks like
> this:
>
> . do determinants
> file determinants.do not found
> r(601);

I would check which directory Stata is in.

You don't mention what version of Stata you are using or the OS (see
statalist FAQ), but you can find out by typing -pwd-, and then using
-cd- to change directory (type -help cd- for the manual page
explaining these commands).

The examle below was executed on my linux system, if you are using
M$-windows you are more likely to see something like c:\[dir name]

. pwd
/mnt/data/neil/

. cd work/analysis

. pwd
/mnd/data/neil/work/analysis

You may also find Nick Winter's -fastcd- command of invaluable use,
particularly if you are using windows and have you files saved in "My
Documents" (which usually results in a very long literal path to
type).

In Stata type...

. ssc describe fastcd

...followed by...

. ssc install fastcd

...if you decide to install the program.

> I can not open it as a do file either. I have to "open with - notepad"

You can change the application for which files are associated with in
windows (but I 'm afraid I've forgotten how to do this).

You may find the following FAQ pertinent to editing do-files....

http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/textEditors.html

HTH's

Neil
--
"The surest way to make a monkey of a man is to quote him."
 - Robert Benchley