st: Hardware environments for STATA manipulation of large datasets

From   "Anirudh V. S. Ruhil" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Hardware environments for STATA manipulation of large datasets
Date   Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:45:08 -0500

There may have been some traffic about a particular element or the other of my question, but nevertheless ...

We are working with extremely large datafiles (hitting 6 million obs with only partial list of covariates attached), and our usual academic P4 puppies with 512MB RAM, Win XP, and Stata 9 are simply unable to do a thing. Many of you have run into similar issues in the past and so may be able to tell me when you did step out to buy new hardware and software, what exactly were the key specs, what platform, etc. did you find useful. Moving off Win XP is not an issue so be bold.

thanks in advance

Ani
*
* For searches and help try: