st: Re:

From   "M. Haider Hussain" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re:
Date   Sun, 11 Dec 2005 06:21:32 -0800

Dear Isabel,

Please mention the sample size. Do you mean non-normality of the
residuals or the variables? (treatment of both iassues are different).
If you have a sample size greater than 7000 observations than both
Shapiro -Wilk, Shapiro-Francia test are inappropriate. Try to use
graphical mehods instead (e.g. histogram, kdensity plots, Q-Q/P-P
plots, they give better results normally).

The question regarding how serious non-normality is, is a subjective
issue. If you feel that you can assume normality (CLRM) than it's up
to you. If you don't feel so, you can always choose ohter methods than
OLS.

Lastly, never forget to mention you problem in the "subject line" briefly.

M. Haider Hussain
Social Policy & Development Center
Karachi, Pakistan.