Re: st: maximum likelihood procedures for oprobit

From   "Sunhwa Lee" <[email protected]>
To   Richard Williams <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: maximum likelihood procedures for oprobit
Date   Thu, 8 Dec 2005 17:54:42 -0800 (PST)

Thank you very much for your answer.

> First off, why do you want to write your own program when Stata
> already has one?  Even if you get your program to work, Stata's will
> likely be quicker, more efficient and less likely to encounter problems.

I am working on a more structural model that restricts the way the
threshold/cutoff points are calculated. So, writing up a program which is
identical to oprobit, is just the first step to my work.

> Second, while you may have the formulas right, that doesn't mean your
> code is the same as oprobit's.  The programs go through an iterative
> procedure, and some procedures will work better than others.

In fact, I am really concerned about this iteration procedures, as the
estimates on some of my dummy variables are a lot different depending on
the tolerance levels.

> Try adding the difficult option to your ml maximize commands, e.g.
> ml maximize, difficult
> According to the help, "difficult specifies that a different stepping
> algorithm be used in nonconcave regions.  There         is no
> guarantee that difficult will work better than the default; sometimes
> it is better, and sometimes it is         worse.  You should use the
> difficult option only when the default stepper declares convergence
> and the last         iteration is "not concave", or when the default
> stepper is repeatedly issuing "not concave" messages and
> only         producing tiny improvements in the log likelihood."
>
> You could also try playing around with the technique option.  Type
> -help maximize- for more details.

I tried "difficult" as well and from "maximize" help, the only two that
are clearly stated are tolerance and Itorelance levels, which I already
played around with.

I found "oprobit.ado" file from stata now and am gonna try to depuzzle
it. Thank you very much again...

Sunhwa

Lee, Sunhwa
PhD Candidate