st: Re: how to deal with variables...

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: how to deal with variables...
Date   Wed, 7 Dec 2005 09:01:42 -0500

I think what is being considered here is attrition: certain individuals drop out of the panel. That is not a problem. Imagine that your panel ID is the individual's SSN (or social insurance number). What you will find is that the panel is unbalanced, with more individuals in the first wave of the survey than in the second, more in the second than the third, etc. if there is no replacement. That is a very common setup -- it happens with firm-level data, for instance, due to mergers, liquidations, etc.

If you do not have preassigned ID codes for each individual (but somehow you know who is whom in each year) then just assign 1...N to the individuals in the first year, and assign the appropriate IDs in the second year, and so on. That is, if somehow you know that individual 5 has left the sample in year 2, just leave it out. Stata does not need a balanced panel.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html