Re: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: uses of Bland-Altman plots

From   Ron�n Conroy <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: uses of Bland-Altman plots
Date   Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:16:52 +0000

On 6 Noll 2005, at 23:15, Nick Cox wrote:

As Bland and Altman have pushed the idea very
hard in their medical statistics texts and in several
papers in medical/medical statistical journals, the
terminology Bland-Altman plots seems to have become
widely used in those areas. (As usual, I would be
astonished if either had invented that term.)
For a number of years, these plots didn't have a name (and still don't have any other widely recognised name). I would be curious to see what is the earliest published reference to them. Certainly, if B & A are at fault, it is in not giving their plot a catchy name.

The importance of Bland and Altman's paper was that it discussed and dismissed several intuitively reasonable ways of assessing agreement between two measures, neither of which is a gold standard. The paper is a model of clarity and sense. Its influence was considerable in the medical literature, improving analysis and reporting very significantly.

For that reason, I have no trouble crediting them. They may not have invented the plot (and didn't claim to do so) but they championed it as part of good practice and in doing so did a considerable service to the quality of published reports.

Ron�n Conroy

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/