st: RE: Re: RE: panel data analysis using xtregar

From   Julius Fr�d�ric Andr� <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: RE: panel data analysis using xtregar
Date   Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:18:44 +0100

Thanks to Rodrigo and Steve for taking the time to comment, I will consider
these in my work.

Regards,

JULIUS

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Rodrigo Alfaro
Sent: 27 November 2005 17:17
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Re: RE: panel data analysis using xtregar

Julius, first lagged dependent variable (LDV) with xtreg, fe and xtregar is
not the same. xtregar works like Cochrane-Orcutt regression (meaning you
have the first observation... read Autocorrelation section in any textbook
to learn about it)... for that purpose you have to set what kind of rho will
be in your regression (option rhotype)... the default is Durbin-Watson.
Details of the formula appear in the manual reference. If the coefficient of
your LDV is near to 1 maybe you have a Unit Root case (note that this
coefficient is downward-biased if it is positive Nickell 1968). There is a
huge (and maybe more than that) about LDV+FE versus Arellano-Bond (1991, GMM
estimator), Anderson-Hsiao (1981, IV estimator)... it seems to me that the
bias generated by LDV+FE it is not so bad in compare with weak instruments.
Hahn-Kuersteiner (2000) propose an asymptotic correction for that
parameter... all these is available in Arellano's book. Rodrigo.