st: RE: mysterious 601 error

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: mysterious 601 error
Date   Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:47:35 -0000

No mystery, really.

You are not going to get the -clarify- software this way.

. findit clarify

shows that the software sits on a Harvard machine
and you need to download it directly from there.

If you direct your browser to the document you
just created, you will find that what you are
accessing is just a report on where to find that
stuff: it is equivalent to a map that you might
find in a dead end. The dead end leads nowhere,
but the map tells you where to go.

Ken Wald

> When I try to access net resources, I receive the 601 error
> message with
> the following:
>
> http://www.stata.com/websee.cgi?r=2&s=bds&o=w&j=a&k=clarify
> could not be
> opened for read by copytextfile
>
> This is mysterious because I've previously downloaded several
> user-written programs without any problem. I assumed the
> problem was in
> my firewall but (a) it does not even ask me for access to
> this site, the
> default option and (b) I have specifically added both
www.stata.com and
the site's IP address as trusted zones. I do not have an Internet proxy
set up and the communication software is working just fine. I've tried
this with two different servers but with the same result.

Any suggestions on what to try next?